Monday, September 5, 2011

Dick Cheney and the Bitter, Frustrated Book Reviewer of Doom

I was reading an article by Christopher Hitchens over at Slate. Now, while Hitchens is a liberal, he has demonstrated that uncommon quality among liberals of being sane, so, while I don't always agree with what he says, I respect his honesty.

On the sidebar, there was a link to this Washington Post story:

‘In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir’ by Dick Cheney
. Only the link was titled "Dick Cheney's Self Serving Memoir".

Question for all you non-rabid, intellectually honest people out there: Has there ever been a "memoir" that was not in some way shape or form "self serving"? Anything from "this is how I remember or perceived events at the time" to "the publisher gave me a nice fat advance on the book"?

And even though it is in the "Entertainment" and "Books" section of the Post, don't read Robert G. Kaiser's column to find an analysis of the book, as one might expect in a "book review", but rather you can see Kaiser's bitter partisan take on Cheney the man, not the book.

Far be it for an "honest liberal" (stop laughing!) like Kaiser to analyze the book on its merits or lack therof, and allow the reader to draw his or her own conclusions.

If I had to sum up this review in six words, it would be "Move along! Nothing to see here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment